05 March 2010

QUICK WEEK'S END POSTS: GARDEN UPDATE, HEIRLOOM SEEDS, HIDDEN PG&E BEAUX-ARTS INTERIOR (and mini SF CHRON rant...)


Reworking the Plot: I finally admitted to myself that some of those older seeds I'd sown just weren't going to germinate--the only way to know was try--and filled in with new arugula, mache, and mizuna seeds. It was a joy working in the garden on the first recent sunny day: the adjoining mini-park was packed with parents watching their kids play, dogs and their owners, young couples, and best of all, a classical violinist playing Grieg sonatas.


Heirloom Possessions: I purchased the new seeds at the Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds retail store recently opened in the historic Sonoma Bank Building in downtown Petaluma. A fitting home for an exhaustive heirloom 'seed bank,' and the staff is warm and knowledgeable; I'll definitely be back for summer vegetable seeds once I kit out a seed-starting set-up in the garage.


Hidden Beaux-Arts Interior: PG&E was doing work on a substation I pass on my bike on the way to the garden, and it was a treat to get a glimpse of the hidden, early-20th century Beaux-Arts industrial interior with three-story colonnades supported by classical columns surrounding a central, skylighted atrium for heavy machinery. This is the kind of stuff John King could highlight in the San Francisco Chronicle if he actually knew and walked the city, or had a real curiosity or knowledge about architecture, urban design, communities, context, or precedence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin